With the development of the internet of things, you might have real concerns about the protection of your personal data and privacy. At the same time, however, you may be willing to share data with service providers if it means that you can benefit from useful services. Data protection is an issue that automakers take very seriously.
The automobile industry is committed to providing all its customers with a high level of protection of their personal data and maintaining their trust. Therefore, the European car, van, truck and bus makers have adopted five key principles of data protection. Manufacturers commit to:
- Being transparent;
- Giving customers choice;
- Taking data protection into account at all times;
- Maintaining data security;
- Processing personal data in a proportionate manner.
The bottom line is that personal data will be shared by manufacturers with third parties only:
- On the basis of a contract with the customer; or
- With the prior consent of the customer; or
- To comply with legal obligations.